R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 21.5 Brushless vs 540 Silver Can - Time to change?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 AM
vazzo
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

21.5 +1

Most people take racing pretty serious and do all sorts of weird and wonderful things to their motors to gain n extra second or two or they buy all the 540 motors they can find, keep the ones with the best RPM then sell the rest off or they have thousands of dollars worth of dyno equipment to make sure their motors are the fastest they can be. I know I was guilty of these things when racing 540.

As RAST pointed out, at least the driver can jump up to any other class without worrying about buying a new speedy and they can still get decent money for their 21.5 plus its way less maintenance ie cleaning and oiling after each race.

I hope they change the rules up in SE QLD for next year or at least give 21.5a good go. I know for a fact that a good portion of the younger drivers think that brushless equipment is cool and they love the look of it so you shouldnt have any arguments from them and mum n dad dont want to see their children unhappy.....do they

I dont even think the silver cans were specifically designed for rc applications, I think they are replacement fan motors for caravans. Someone else out there probably knows the exact details, but that was something I heard years ago.