R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Bumps and Jumps 09/10 offroad season
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Bryan@SMC
Tech Regular

cj50,

What's your name? I'm from Stanley and we go to Bumps every other Sunday. If need, you can def. carpool as we try to only take 1-2 vehicles and split the gas. We meet in New Market. Please get back with me. I thought I was the only person from our area to have R/C as a hobby.

To all,

The SCT is getting way out of hand and it seems that the Bumps thread has turned into the "What SCT class will you choose for me this year" thread. Here is the deal, no sugar coating needed...

It does not matter which truck you have, you will only be as competitve as your experience and knowledge allows. If I beat you with my BLITZ, it's because I'm a better wheel. If WYD hands it to you with his Slash, it's because he's a better wheel. At the end of the day, the best driver prevails! Not the best truck, not the best battery, motor or esc. If I still had my Slash, I would come race that on the 8th and have a good chance to win just as I did 2 weeks ago. Setup only means soo much...If anyone recalls the ELITE 09 race...I had switched around the tires on my Slash and ended up having an oval style stagger setup on my truck and I TQ'd over Schaffer by 7 seconds.

I've spoken with Chris today and we both voiced our opinions and what we would like to see for the 09-10 season @ Bumps. It all boils down to racers realizing that you have to start somewhere. When I started racing in 1998, I got handed the whole year, no matter what class I raced. Eventually I got tired of getting my butt kicked so I asked the local fast guys for setup tips and had them drive my rides to see where they needed improvements and asked about driving lines. The next year, I did great in one class and so-so in another, BUT...I had made improvement all because I set that as a goal. If you come to race and don't care where you finish, then don't gripe. If you want to win, work for it. If you lose with a Slash, you will lose with any of the other 3 trucks. For the beginner, the Slash is the way to go. You have the best truck in box stock form so don't feel as if you are at a disadvantage.

I will race whatever class Chris puts me in. I drive 3 hours just to race the SCT's and what do I get??? No trophy, no ribbon, no gift certificate!!! Why do I come all that way? It's all about the experience! I haven't been to many tracks that offer the good times and the excellent track that Bumps has. For the most part everyone is super friendly and will do whatever they can to help you out. So, if you have questions about your setup or just need help in general, ask someone. I bet you will get more advice than you expect. Offroad racers know that if you copy their setup, they can and will still beat you. Offroad is all about timing and you need to work very hard to be fast.

How bad do you want it???

Bryan

BTW..Thanks Chris and WYD for all that you guys do!!! Bumps is by no means local, but it's my local track!!