R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Top speed of a 17.5 car?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
PrimeAKF11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Top speed of a 17.5 car?

Yes I know I'm essentially asking what a typical 7 yrs old asks, but I got into an argument with my cousin and I couldn't help it. Can a 17.5 TC, in ROAR legal configuration, hit 40mph?

Reason I'm asking, my cousin apparently got the onboard speedometer thingy from Venom and claims that his 17.5 TC (it was either Cyclone S or Xray T2R, I'm not sure) was clocked at 40mph (65km actually). I told him that there is no way a 17.5 TC is reaching that kind of speed and given that a 17.5 motor is only about 2200kV or so he is lucky to see 30mph. Then he told me that with the latest speedos that advance timing, and with the additional timing he can dial in via the turbo feature on his Tekin RS, it is entirely possible for a 17.5 car to reach 40mph and that his speedo is indeed correct.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever put a radar gun to a 17.5 car? I still don't believe it but there is some validity in his claims I think. He did admit that the track had a long 180ft straightway and his car was geared tall at 3.7 FDR or so.