R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Noob needs Christmas help
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
chem_fun
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Noob needs Christmas help

OK, I'm a bit of a research-a-holic. I've already been reading quite a bit on the forum and on the manufacturers sites, downloaded many videos. Here's my goal, let me know how I've done. My kid has a toy RC car, and loves it. Picked it up at a yard sale and he immediately started thinking about jumps and speed and all sorts of fun things to do with a new toy. Talking with the wife about Christmas presents, I'm looking to get two inexpensive quality cars. He's never had a real RC car (and neither have I for that matter).

We live in MI and it's bound to snow soon (maybe we could run them on the packed snow and ice), but we have laminate floors over the entire house.

We've got a fairly large yard that's full of grass, and a long (150 ft) asphalt driveway.

In the summer we frequently go to the beach.

Oh, and we live on a dirt road.

So...I'm not looking for a street car, I'm looking for something more robust. Monster or Stadium Truck.

I'm considering on of the Losi Baja's. Seems nice that they come fully packaged. However, I've also noticed that both baja's are discontinued. Why? Were there problems with them. They can still be found online, but I'm yet unsure if that will void any warranty or if there's a better option available now.

From the videos I've seen, they should hold up to jumps. Will the both hold up to medium height grass and weeds (we don't have any dirt patches, but there's a corn field out back we could use before they plant)?

Can I get the sand tires for the monster and stadium versions? Will they both hold up the same.

I'm not looking to upgrade soon (don't laugh...I don't have the bug yet), but have read that there's an abundance of upgrade and replacement parts (this is important to me).

Will I have any problems with the controllers if I get two identical cars?

What other brands/models should I consider???

For a father an his 7 year old son, how many batteries should we have for 2 cars, and be able to play for quite some time? I've read that the batteries only last about 10 minutes.
And that a charge takes about 2 hours. Yikes....

What's the top speed on these cars on blacktop?

What spare parts should I get...weak spots? I'd rather be prepared.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP...I'll warn you in advance...I really appreciate the assistance, but it's probably going to spark more questions.