R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
I was running full size Jaco's as my lathe hasn't shown up and a 73 spur with a 53 pinion, Tekin RS Pro and an Orca 17.5. That gave me a rollout close to 111mm. I had plenty on the straight and didn't give up alot in the corners, but I did give up some. I was actually keeping up to a guy running 13.5 on the straight. I did try a 50t pinion but prefered the feel of the 53t. It made me be smoother on the throttle.

I did have one problem though. I am running the Novak smart boost and a couple of times I lost power to the receiver so it would go full throttle through the corner, generally straight into the boards. I have a 4 channel receiver and the thing is full with the ESC, servo, transponder and the Smart Boost. What can I do to help eliminate this? I know I could try a receiver pack but I just spent the money on the booster.
Install a capacitor. The easiest method would be to pick up one of the Spektrum caps and plug it into the receiver (may require changing the plug or even doubling-up with the Smart-Boost plug?) and Futaba themselves may very well have a similar product. They run $5-6 at Stormers ready-to-install. Or pick up capacitor (the Spektrum one should work here as well, or Novak, or...) and install it in input lead for the Smart Boost.

What is happening is that you're pulling some BIG gearing and on hard acceleration you're pulling the battery voltage down. I'm kinda surprised you aren't getting too much heat into the motor or esc. Something I've found with the BL motors/esc's is that I can gear up and up (minding my temps!!) until the lap times begin to level out or fall off but some time before I've gotten there the car pulls noticeably less hard off the corners. You are able to compensate by making your corners more and more sweeping. While this MAY get peak lap times when you're on your own on the track you'll find this to be counter-productive in race situations as when you sweep your turns like this you're extending a HUGE invitation (which WILL be accepted) for your competitors who are accelerating harder off the turns to push it up the inside and pass you. Yeah, higher top-end speed "feels good" but you give up a little of that to keep more acceleration and tighter lines in the infield. Just how much you "give to get" is a compromise you have to get a feel for but for me it seems to be 5-10mm (maybe closer to 10mm) below where I get my peak lap time.

The neat thing is that backing of your gearing a bit may very well "kill" your voltage drop problem. Regardless, make sure you temp your motor and esc--I've not heard of anybody running gearing quite THAT high. I've not run any 1s / 17.5 (only 13.5 and 10.5) but my understanding is folks are running 95-105mm depending on how "tight" their track is and what their own personal trade-off factor is.