R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Since we're on the subject of turn marshall's...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM
bgbelden
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krawlin
Only problem I see with trying to squeeze the air filter boot is actually getting your hand in there quickly, even though you have it pushed down on the ground, the vehicle is trying to go forward and probably spinning the wheels and throwing dirt everywhere.

I actually carry a piece of Lexan with me to jam the flywheel of engines when I turn marshal. It's a 1/4inch thick, 4 inch long by 2 inch wide piece of Lexan, fits easily in my pocket, easy to pull out of my pocket, and when there is a runaway, I grab it and flip it over (or just run to it if it's already flipped over) and shove a corner of that piece of Lexan into the flywheel hole in the chassis. It doesn't stop the engine so instantly that it stresses the rod, but rather slows it smoothly and quickly with high friction. I have used it many times and it always works great. I think anyone who turn marshals should make something like this to keep in their pocket when turn marshaling, IMO it's one of the best ways to stop a runaway.

But as a cautionary note, if you flip a runaway RC over to stop the flywheel, the tires often balloon like crazy, so be careful where you put your hands/arms. I have brushed against a ballooning tire of a runaway truggy, and trust me it does not feel good at all!!! So if you do this, don't hold me responsible if you get scratched up by the tires!
I may do this, i know they make a screwdriver looking tool but i hate stuff in my pockets when i TM, so the lexan may be ok.