R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Leaking 8ight fuel tank
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Sure but you dont need to send em just take some pics please......but every other time ive asked to see these split tank's they all say. " oh i threw it out....or i never took a pic and switched brands already or something to that effect"

Im Not stating it Cant happen....cuz we all know some guys beat the SNOT out of their car's and wonder why they break parts....BUT i was stating it is Not a Common problem....at least not from what ive seen/experienced.....you can see the little white stress marks on the mounts...but i guess like you said bad sonic welds at the seams could definitely lead to a failed tank but for the 10-15 8ight's locally plus the other 100's ive seen at out of town race's ive never seen it happen so thats why im so skeptical of guys saying its a common issue....not trying to argue here just stating it from how i see it.
No worries. Just seen this happen to me(i race expert truggy at Hotrod) and my son(races expert buggy), and a few others. Maybe a local thing. Not sure. What i CAN tell you is that we run V-specs, and when the tune goes wacky, the first thing we do now is replace the tank. 99% of the time, problem solved. When i got home the first time i had this issue, i pressurised the tank underwater and got air bubbles coming from the seam. Next time we had the same tuning issue, replaced tank and again checked when we got home and more bubbles from the seam. I thought that the tank might be hitting the chassis on landing from the bigger jumps, but had no wear marks on the bottom or sides of the tanks. We also had problems with the cap not sealing well. That's why Losi redesigned the tank lids. We get LOTS of pro's that run at Hotrod. They knew about it when i asked what was up with the tanks. Said to send them to Losi and they will replace them.(still sitting in a box) Haven't had a problem for awhile, so maybe they fixed the issue!