R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reviving a Micro-T Battery
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Razathorn
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperSix-Two
The stock charger, the battery powered one, crapped out on me a couple weeks ago and I havn't had a chance to get a new one.

However, I have a Hot Bodies 4-7 Cell Peak charger (Nothing fancy, I know) that has 1,2, and 4 amp charge cycles, and I'm wondering if that can charge my micro-t's battery up and maybe revive it, as I've been having crappy run times and lack of power.

Thanks.
Nimh?

If it's nimh or nicd it probably has some voltage depression and or dendrite crystals. Zap the crystals if you have any dead shorted cells with a quick application of high current charge, then discharge each cell individually to zero or close to it (it will start to hang at like .1 volt or something) with a balancer or 1 ohm resisters. Then charge the pack at a reasonably quick rate, at least 1c, and monitor the pack carefully. This should bring it back after a few cycles. If you had any dead shorts, your cell separators are now damaged and your cells with self discharge very quickly so run your batteries soon after charging and or re-peaking. If you are going to not run it for a while, you can try to put a storage charge in there, but if the separator is gone, it will be absolutely dead in a week or less. This is why self assembled packs are superior because you can equalize them. In an assembled pack, you can't access each cell. I have two batteries that absolutely kick ass but have high self discharge on one or more cells. You have to equalize that pack before charging or it is worthless. You're probably on the last leg of that battery, and it will probably give you lots more good service, but you have to treat it differently -- run it down all the way and leave it there. I know you're not supposed to leave nimh discharged, but it just causes electrode loss over time at a very slow rate. Don't be too concerned about it because at that point you already have one cell that does it all on its own (discharges very quickly) so it isn't like you have a choice. That way when you charge it they all start out discharged.

Sucks -- but that's the way it is.