R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Track Test Battle Axe 2.0 17.5/2s Lipo

91F. Track Temp 120F.
I wanted to run some oval on the new asphalt at Mike-HobbyShop.com
It was easy to set up the oval on the end of the new layout like before. I wanted to see if there were some differences in the way the car handled vs on the sealed asphalt that we treated with sugar water. Well there was a difference. I did not have to treat it with sugar water. I had medium traction from the beginning.
I started on purple right front, pink left front
CRC World GT spec Rears. Why this tire. Now I am not new to this piece of asphalt. I have been running pan cars with motors from 10.5 to 3.5 on it since it was layed down. What I have discovered by trieal and error is that this tire that is just a little harder than pink (maybe a shore 38) gives me better cornering traction and forward traction than pinks or magentas.
It works very similar to a BSR XXpink and is made by BSR, I am told. You are silly not to try the tire just because the tire is cheaper.
Anyway the tire did not disappoint on the oval the rear end was strapped mid corner. It was a wise decision by CRC not to offset the pod lefton this center link side pivot car. My 3-link was similarly strapped in the back.

The 17.5 2s LiPo is actually very similar in speed to the 13.5/4 cell I ran previously. You just eliminate the NiMH from the equation. That is a good thing. This means also that there was enough power and punch to have corner exit issues. The nose tended to head to the inside board on corner exit. I can drive a lot faster when the nose heads toward the correct line instead so I took remedies. First I notice the car has ability to offset the front end in tiny increments. I move the right side one increment right and the left side one increment right. I added slightly more left down tweak by rotating in the right side shock collar one full turn. Perfect. Now notice I am not setting up a champions car. I never claimed to be one. I am setting up a club racers car, which is what I am, so that it is easy to drive mistake free in a club race. If you don't like this setting than just don't use it. Don't criticize it if you have not even tried it. Yes moving the front end to the right is adding a small amount of left rear steer.

Problems that remain, on a single car practice day. Not quite enough steering to maneuver around traffic. Plenty to maintain a good line. This may be solved by going to a CRC spec right front on dusty practice days.