R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - So many buggies, which to choose?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Zerodefect
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
I'll give you the brake disc wear too quickly but otherwise I have to disagree. To say the RC8 wears more quickly than a Losi is just laughable. The Losi develops tons of slop. It used to drive me nuts how much play there was in the steering.

None of the cars mentioned are without issues.

The 808 has problems with the pinion bearings. The plastic parts are nearly unbreakable but they do warp and IMO the spring steel driveshafts wear pretty quickly.Arms warp eventually. Rest of the plastic is fine. I haven't come across the arm warping problem because my car rests flat on my bench. i store my AKA's in thier bag filled with Axe body spray.

Pinion bearing problem fixed on 09 spec models. Your joking about the spring steel right? Tough stuff, haven't scratched my pins.

The MBX6 was quickly revised because it had issues too and my understanding is the chassis will actually crack over time.
Agrees, if you can find one of the early "problem 6's" you can get them dirt cheap. I doubt the chassis cracking is widespread. Still I see lots and lots of ancient Moogens out there.

The 8ight has drivetrain issues. The front center cvd lasts maybe 2 gallons tops and often I see them blow their rear diffs not to mention I still see Losi drivers frequently blowing their servos.Agreed, fastest car out there, but I would never own one. Unless I could afford one for each heat.

The Kyosho is probably the closest to trouble free but still not quite. I know they have revised their bulkheads at least once. I think Kyosho copied the RC8's best features and just used "spare no expense" materials.

I think Losi and AE woke up the big three, helped them realize that their 15 year old desighns needed some work.

Remember I said I had 6 buggies one year. Ive tried most of them. Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Jammin, Losi, and Team Associated Ive had them all. Everyone of them had or developed some issue in the time I had them. Most issues are small and many are able to be fixed permanently but not one car was perfect.

I never meant to try and tell anyone the RC8 was perfect. I know better. I just want people to give it a fair chance while they are making a decision as to which car to buy. Its a good car at a good price backed by a top notch company that has been and will continue to be very competitive across the world.
Agreed, but I think that Xray/Mugen/Kyosho are a tier above the rest, quality and durability wise. With Losi/AE/Hotbodies right below them, just as fast but softer plastic and less hardcore on the "top of the line" materials. They are what the are. They have to remain at their pricepoint, and I think thats thier biggest limitation.