R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RS5 Killed 5 of my plugs
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 05:08 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Killer RS5

Originally posted by Slammed
The bushing on the top is missing. The bushing on the bottom is still there. The rod on the top is cracked. some of the piston skirt is cracked off.
Mine did the same too. Bushing at the top was no more. The part under the piston head where the pin is supported broke partly. I have since replaced the piston and conrod with a used Nova one that I had in my toolbox. Luckily the original sleeve was still OK. So I broke in the engine again with the "new" piston and conrod and it's been working fine since. Plenty performance.

Originally posted by Slammed
Do you think the bushing did more damage than the filliment?
Yes, I believe so. With .3 shim, I am quite sceptical that it was too much compression in the engine. More so with 20% nitro.

When the bushing disintegrates, the fine metal particles fly all over in the engine and acts like a spray of bullets hitting everywhere in the combustion chamber. That is why your piston head and button head surface is sandblasted. This particles will also knock out your glow plug filamen and distort it. Have you checked your glow plug and try to clean them out? You'll probably find debris in them. Just my 2 cents.

The thing to do now before putting a new set of intenals is to clean out the engine totally (bearings included) and get rid of all the bushing particles that may still be in the engine.

Sorry if this was not the kind of help you're looking for. Just thought it would help you understand better why or how the failure could have occurred.