R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - new stock motor binary
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 12:25 PM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
You got nothin' but respect from me Derek, but I think the California environment has skewed your perspective a bit . You now live in the land of the "GIANT RACETRACKS" and the RC population your way is flooded with some of the most talented drivers in the world. Now come to the Midwest and watch a Stock Touring C qualifier at any club track and your wish for a faster stock motor formula will quickly dissipate. The carnage an improperly prepared dog of an MVP can create is reason enough to leave stock motor rules alone, much less a hack driver with a dyno and a bunch of time on his hands.

I too started racing WAY BACK WHEN, and when stock got too slow I bought a 15 turn for my SEVEN-CELL Cat XLS. The thing is, with the motor and battery technology that was available then, a 7-cell 15 turn off- road buggy was maybe, almost as fast as a stock class buggy on 5 cells today. Hell, Stock today is as fast as Mod was FIVE years ago.

Stock Motors are fast enough. If you want fast run Mod. Close competitive, speed limited racing is what stock is all about. Just like in real motorsports. Stock Cars are slow, the "less restrictive" formulas are fast.
That's fair to assume, but I'm from the NE and I know what most small tracks are, and I wouldn't consider SoCal big. I just think a 19-turn would be good. To jump from stock to mod is way hard for most people. I do remember stock being good enough for RC Madness, but the little extra from 19-turn is great. Breaking the cars will help since maybe some manufacturers will go back to cars that don't break as easy (doh). I just think it's time for a change. You have beginners have a slower class. Hell that new brushless stock motor is looking good.