R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RS5 Killed 5 of my plugs
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 08:50 AM
EVOLUTION
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Killer RS5

Originally posted by Slammed
Course-R,

Thanks for the info. I will go through your list and inspect.

The past 4 plugs did look distroted and pushed in. The last one was missing.

I tried three duratrax #7 medium, one #8 cold, and one rossi #5 medium. The rossi one is that fell apart. All are short type.

I am using the blue thunder 20% racing fuel.

According to the paper that came with the engine. You can use .4mm +/- .1mm. I used .3mm as suggested.

I measured the shimms off the engine. It was .35mm. I figured that when mounted, it would compress to .3mm. Maybe I should have measured it while the shimms are compressed by the head. This will give me a more accurate measurement.

Initial D,

The bushing on the top is missing. The bushing on the bottom is still there. The rod on the top is cracked. some of the piston skirt is cracked off.

Do you think the bushing did more damage than the filliment?

I need to re-evaluate to repair or purchase a new one.
I need to learn what went wrong. So this doesn't happen again.

Was it the bushing that caused it to fail or my shimm measurement or combanation of both? If it was the bushing, you would think it would be covered by waranty.

I don't think there is a waranty on this engine. I didn't see it. I only had it for two months.

Dino, can you please check on this?

I can post pictures if anybody wants.

Thanks all for your help.
If a plug filament drops in the engine it will destroy it.As was said it could have had too much compression,maybe the plug you were using had too long of a reach or that you didn't have enough shims.

Post some pics if you can.