So I fried a motor today in my main event. A 5 week old Trinity Duo 17.5

Was running:
FDR of 4.74
Motor Timing of 10
Speedo timing of 15
Turbo max
delay .5
Super large outdoor asphault track.

About 7 laps in my car just stopped on the straight, and a puff of smoke billowed from underneith my car, and it was dead. Motor was at about 100 degrees.... was coming off the track around 150-160 during all my heats... Never had any issues of any kind until today.

So here is the kicker... another guy at my track is running the same motor, with less timing, but is geared at like 3.9. Sure seems like he's geared mighty tall to me (duos like to be geared taller than the redlines)... but he is one of the fastest guys at our track! He thinks gearing down, and advancing the timing as much as I did (which is what is normally recommended here in this thread) causes the motor to wind out too much.... and vuala... toasted Duo. (thanks for the tips/help, ritchie!)

Any thoughts? The car felt PERFECT until the smoke. Great infield punch, tons of speed on the straight... Qualifyng in the top 4.

Cpt.
The settings you've listed are similar to those I've used on a much smaller track (80 ft straight), but seem pretty conservative overall. There are times I've geared taller and watched motor temps drop - I probably would have started at an FDR of 4.2-4.3 and checked the motor temperature after a few minutes. Considering that the motor let go @ 100 deg. F, I'd think there was a motor defect that caused the failure instead of your motor/speedo setup.