R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What's it worth? What do I have? Should I keep or sell? Vintage 80s Kyosho/Tamiya
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM
dan50
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's it worth? What do I have? Should I keep or sell? Vintage 80s Kyosho/Tamiya

So as I put in another post, my son and I were cleaning out the garage and he found all kinds of RC stuff I had from the 80s when I was younger. The other half of my gear is probably still at my parents' house, so I'll have to go on a scavenger hunt this Thanksgiving. Anyways, I would appreciate some input on what do I have, is it worth rebuilding (can I find parts??), should I sell it and cash out to someone that can appreciate it, etc. I'm into Mustangs and Fords, and my memory is pretty fuzzy from 25 years ago with these cars.

This is a Tamiya Falcon, I cannot find the front driver wheel. Aside from missing electronics and a bent antenna, everything else is intact. I never liked this car. Would anyone buy it? Or should we use this one for the really large jumps and crashes??

Looks like a spare Kyosho Ultima chassis. Am I correct? Should I keep or get rid of it? What's it worth?

This is a rear end from my Tamiya Super Champ. The rest of the car was thrown away in 85 or so. Is this worth putting on ebay or something? This was my first or second car (also had the Grasshopper). I am not interested in rebuilding it or buying a new one. Not sure what the market is for this piece.

So I also had a Tamiya Boomerang. I think this one has upgraded shocks on it... can't remember. I crashed this one pretty hard, and I broke the front gearbox apart (see the third pic). I glued it in the 80s, but it came apart again. I suppose it could be repaired. Is it worth fixing or should I help out another Boomerang owner??

So here's my Kyosho Ultima. I don't know which version or generation it is, but it's in pretty good shape, the front wheels have been painted red, and the front bumper has been painted white, and it doesn't have sway bars. I think all it needs is electronics and it should be ready to go. What's it worth? Should I keep this one?

This is an RC10 that I bought and NEVER ran. I didn't even finish building it, so I don't know if I have any parts missing or not. Sell? Keep? Fair price?

I like this next car, but I have no clue which one it is. It is a Kyosho, and the general front/rear is very similar to the Ultima, but the chassis is not a tub, it's two sheets of black fiberglass. I think the tires/wheels were non-factory that I added, but I could be wrong. So what the heck is this thing, and how does it rate compared to my other junk? It's pretty complete, minus the electronics. It has front and rear sway bars, although the front is missing a dogbone from the driver side (where could I track that down??)

I know this is the Kyosho Salute, based upon the Optima series. This thing was a beast when it ran, and it was way better than the Boomerang, just a meatier car. It's missing the passenger rear axle (where can I find one) but otherwise it's complete. This is the one my son wants me to rebuild. What is this one worth today, and if I decide to sell it what is it worth?

So here are some radios that I have. The first Magnum Junior has a spongy wheel, the second and third have a hard rubber wheel. The Futaba Attack is only two axis, but the Futaba FP-T4WD is for an airplane. Are they still good? I have no clue if they actually work, nor do I know why I have so many of the same one...

This was a motor I bought because it was recommended way back when by my local RC shop. How do I get info on it, like in terms of windings, power, etc? Is it a good motor?

Got a couple of these bags, too. What's a good value on them if I add them to a car sale? $20? $50? $200?

And lastly, I'm asking these questions because I have been out of the hobby for so long. I recently sold some car audio amps for $75 total (5 of them). I find my amps for sale two days later on caraudio.com for almost $500. So if I do sell something, it's not that I want to gouge anyone, I just don't want to get taken for a ride myself. I was especially pissed since the guy was haggling me and was going to put them in his car...

Anyways, this is my junk, looking forward to getting at least one up and running, and if somebody else can use the stuff that my son (4 years old) and I don't want, that's great too.

Dan