R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
dumper
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
You think.... This is far from signed, sealed, and delivered...

Since we are driving computer technology deeper into the equation as each month passes, I propose that ROAR adopt a new rule, a rule used in several different types of racing around the world. The rule that ROAR should adopt is a homologation rule. This would easily prevent this type of "advantage" (no pun intended) in the future in all classes except modified.

Homologation can be easily enforced by requiring that any components used in Amateur, Stock, or Super Stock classes be publicly available in quantity to anyone for a 90-day period prior to a race date. Homologation will allow EVERYONE in attendance for the race to be on an equal field. If the race director determines that any components used in these classes were not readily available to the public prior to the race date, the parts, components, or electronics will be disqualified for the race. If you want to use special, one-off, limited availability, components, do it in modified first, as these are the premier classes for the top drivers anyhow. The homologation rule should apply to the car, electronics, bodies, batteries, and tires.

Anyone - Why would we want manufacturers and their drivers to come and dominate Stock and Superstock? Isn't modified racing where the glory is? Wouldn't it be nice to see an independent come out of the shadows and win a event.

The way I see it, CRC purposely withheld technology that provided them a distinct advantage. CRC admitted they have been racing with and improving the speedo since 2008. They could have easily prototyped the speedo and proven it on the local tracks, then released it to the public before coming to the big races. Instead, they withheld their ESC so they could attempt claim more victory's. I clearly understand that this is not the first time anything like this has happened by any number of manufacturers, but maybe it is time to try and stop it.
Are you kidding me? Did you actually read the article? I ran their brushed unit in 2008. No where does it say that WE (CRC) have been working on a brushless unit since then. We do not own Advanced Electronics. We build race cars not speed controllers. We got them 48 hours before I left for the race. I do apologize for not calling you and letting you know, but I did not have your phone number. I am not sure who we were supposed to notify and what exactly we were supposed to tell them, so I am not sure who we withheld information from. We got some prototypes, we tested them, and now we are getting ready to sell them. As far as I knew, that is how it works. I am sorry if the timing of the whole thing did not fit your schedule.

And what other companies learn will get to their customers as well. Does Tekin, LRP, Novak and KO have your number so they can let you know they found something. I would hate for them to feel your wrath as well.

We would have put it Hupo's cars as well, but he is a factory LRP driver and is under contract to use their products. He did not need the speedo to win mod, he did just fine without it :-)

The truth is now out there. Like it or hate it, it is just that, the truth.

Brian Wynn
Team CRC