R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Drilling Template for Gen X 10 and other pan cars
Here is a template that can be used to center that third front body post in a Gen X 10. This is what you do. Strip the steering off the chassis. Cut out the suspension mounting holes, the outer four holes, with your X-acto knife. Bolt it to the top of the chassis with button head screws. Center punch that center hole. Remove the template. Use a #2 center drill to start the hole. Then through drill with a .113 inch drill. Now countersink from the bottom with your shaped Dremel stone (see the pic above) or use an 82 degree countersink.

The trick is to get the template to come out 1:1 scale. On my Deskjet, I unselect the fit to page box and select 1:1 scale. It prints very accurately to scale from the CAD. I will include this deskjet print which happens to be within .001 inch on dimensions with the Dual A-arm front ends intended for 200 mm cars. (When using a scan in autocad I routinely end up using .997:1 scale to get the correct size pic.) See printing hints below.

If you are on the oval and would like to do some preliminary checking to see if it the dual A-arm front end will fit your chassis, all you need is graphite under the inner set of four holes. If your chassis is a go, then please list it on this thread, or send me a PM, and I will compile of list of chassis that can be modified.

I plan to make a drilling jig with hardened steel drilling bushings to accurately and quickly do this drilling job for you if desired. You will just need to mail that chassis in a big envelope with one carboard layer to protect it from folding). I will also have new chasses available with the mods already made on it. Additional cost will be only $10 if the jig works out. A fifth body post hole will be provided. Im tinkering with printing this image. If yours is not to scale see if a scale setting on your printer or copier will correct it. If not request a free copy of the drill template (additional postage charge for international requests) from [email protected] (tinker with the size in a photo viewer program)

On advice I changed the pic to a .pdf. When you print it landscape, check the 1.4 inch dimenison with your dial caliper. Mine was perfectly to scale.

Note any modified chassis can be returned to stock and run the stock Prostrut front suspension with only an upgrade in fasteners to the black oxide coated alloy steel flat head screws. It is plenty stiff, well tested by myself in a very similar arrangement, and the steel screws more than double the clamping force available from the original aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill Template for 200 mm car.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	499867  
Attached Files

Last edited by John Stranahan; 09-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.