R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - My first tear down for thorough cleaning.. Where to start?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
shanty140
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to get WD-40 while I was out and will go do that in a bit. I don't have a nice tool set, just metric and standard sets of L-hex wrenches and the ones that came with the RTR. Hope I don't run into a screw that I can't find a wrench for.

I'll be starting it in an hour or so; if I run into trouble I'll be back here asking more questions.

Thanks again.

-Evvy
I would not WD-40 your bearings. It does take the dirt of but also takes the grease out as well. If this is your first tear down I would replace your bearings in your vehicle. Avid RC has awesome bearings and they are really cheap.

Here is a list of the bearings you need to do a complete replacement of all of them. I am not sure if you race but I replace my bearings for my hubs every 2 races. And Diff bearings every time I rebuild them. I would recommend get Revolution bearings for hubs, and diffs. They are metal shielded on one side and a rubber shield on the other. When you put the new bearing in, put the rubber seal towards the most dirt would come from. You may not need to replace the bearing in the steering assembly but check them out. It they are getting crunchy replace them.

Losi 8ight Bearing Kit
6x 8x14x4 Flanged (For Diffs. Use Revolutions)
4x 8x14x4 (Fur Hub. Use Revolutions)
4x 1/2 x 3/4 (For Hub. Use Revolutions)
4x 6x10 (Steering Assembly)
4x 5x11 (For Diff Case. Use Revolutions)
1x 5x13 (For Clutch. Use Rubber)
1x 5x10 (For Clutch. Use Rubber)