R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 03:35 AM
InZane
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanx Marcel for your kind words.

No I don't find the handling tricky at all - I drove the car that day for more than 300 laps without losing the rear at any occasion. The car felt perfectly balanced, when taking a turn to hard it just went into a 4 wheel drift. It's hard to tell from the video but I was on full throttle just before hitting apex of every corner. I didn't have to let of through the sweeper all the way down to the 120deg. after the drivers stand - thats like 35 meters, without a trace of instability. But I still think the the set up can be improved a lot. I'd like it to have more "crisp" steering response and of course more speed.

I've made an adjustable Gurney Flap for fine tuning the high speed characteristics.

I think the handling issues with the F104 comes from the problem to find a balance between the side to side flex and the flex back and forth.
If you mount the thin/soft Tbar the inner front wheel will lose contact with the surface when taking a turn = push. If you go with the harder T-bar the rear will be airborne in high speed for the slightest imperfections in the track = high speed instability.

Somehow you need to modify the rear to make it softer back&forth without affecting the side&side flex.

I've made slits in the T-bar on both sides of the pivot screw (pic in a post earlier in this thread) and angled the rear part of the pivot post 1.5mm - I hope you can get the idéa from the pic.

Except from that you have all the info in the set up sheet.

I hope this can help.
Regards,
Pekka "Inzane" Markkula
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F104_Inzane0909.pdf (166.3 KB, 716 views)