R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New touring cars to come soon ??
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 PM
DaredevilD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
Have only been racing for about 6 months now and I have to say tires is the number 1 cost. Sure, I have well over $1000 in to my car and equipment, but that was spent once and not every weekend. I seem to buy a new set about every other race. It starts to add up quick.

With that being said, what about foam? I talked to another local racer last weekend and he swears by them. He kinda had me sold. According to him, they last longer, cheaper, and are good to the rim. Sure, you have to get a tire truer. But in the end, wouldn't it be better?

I never quite understood why they use rubber tire in electric TC, but foam in nitro TC. It just leads me to believe that foam is better. Nitro has more torque, power, and weight. So the demands on the traction should be higher.

--pakk
Foam tires will not last you near as long as rubber. I run both classes and spend by far more in foam tires then rubber. You should be getting atleast 15 runs on your rubber tires. Foam cut for racing you might get 5 or 6 runs and the chance of them chunking. Foam is a great class to run. I really don't think you will be saving yourself a whole lot of money.