R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 AM
kewdawg
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
This ends up being (probably) true if everyone is running the FDR-restricted 2s / 21.5 combo which, I guess, is generally the only relevant consideration atm (other than a few clubs like ours). What would happen, though, if you were running the other allowed combos at the same time is that you took away their ONE advantage being unrestricted (and, theoretically, faster on the straight) and played further into the hands of the restricted 2s / 21.5 car by removing it's sole "disadvantage".

It's probably impossible to find the one magic bullet that makes everything equal short of spec'ing esc and motor. From that point it's car setup and driving...PURE racing ala the closest classes in "real" racing. Heck, the CLOSEST classes of all spec chassis as well, but I can already hear the unholy crap-storm brewing over THAT idea...
You touched on the "end-all" answer. Spec the entire chassis, sans the servo (maybe) - the esc, motor, battery, chassis, body, wheels and tires. Everyone's always talking about a "level playing-field" But no one, truely, wants to be subjected to that many restriction. Do they? No they don't. Racers like choices or options. They always want bigger and better / latest and greatest. To make matters worse, you have far too many racers who will do anything to win. Bend or break every rule they can. I'm mean, really, how mant tracks are really teching the way they should for a spec class? I say spec out a cheaper speedo, say the Novak Havoc 3S ($99.), an in-expensive chassis, that's fully tuneable like the Hot Bodies Cyclone S ($150) or maybe the Xray T2R ($200+). The Cyclone would be the better choice for a supposed low-budget, spec class. It's that or just open it up to any manufacturer and choose a different one (company) per season for the motor and speedo combo. Which I like because the other rc companies get a chance to have their product bought for spec classes, too. We need to keep the advancement of technology moving forward and the rc industry strong. You know, changing the motor can be a very good thing.