R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lipo Charger VS. Lipo/Life Charger
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Shrekito
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
You can get stand alone balancers that will balance and let you charge and balance. Its so much easier to just get a balancing charger. No extra wiring andjust 1 piece of equip.

I'm not aware that you're going to find a charger that lets you pick and choose what chemistries you want to pay for. Most chargers are going to offer NiCd, NiMH, Lipo, LiFe (a123), Li-ion, and lead acid. They are just made that way as all encompassing chargers.

The only chargers I'm aware of that do only lipo are meant for special purposes like heli lipos. They are intended for smaller lipos (less than 1000mah). Example of this is the Eflite lipo charger - 0.65amp, fixed rate with no options at all, period. HC offers a few like that with limited capabilities.

Good charger will also have a storage mode and usually a fast lipo model so you can cut charge time to minimum and charge your lipos to something less than 100% if you're not going to be using it soon.

Oh I am not by any means looking for a charger that only does LiPo's. I was just wondering if the charger says it will charge Life(A123). It is a selling point to buy that charger. I was asking if anyone is using A123 packs and are they worth the money?