Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You are going to have to give us a pic. Sounds good.

There is more news on the bottom plate as I CAD up our New Powell (PRC)/Stranahan-RC heavy duty bottom plate.

First the bump is still there. You may wonder why. Well for some motor position and gears the motor is behind the hump. You get a stronger screw hole. If not you have to file it off still. A good solution would require a thicker piece of aluminum be used for the motor plate and then milled down to current size leaving a boss for the screw. Too expensive. A good cheaper solution is to make the motor plate longer at the bottom to have a tab for this screw. It is only back because of clearance concerns for T-plates which we don't have on the CRC car. This would mess up my Panhard bar mount location so I vote to leave it alone.

Pic CAD of new proposed HD bottom plate, New CRC bottom plate, Old pod bottom plate with old proposed HD bottom plate showing changes near the front of the plate. All photos show the bottom of the plate.
The left side of the new CRC pod is now wider. There is a large gusset at the left rear. You can see it as that angled piece on the interior in the pic of the CAD below. Both of these compensate for the lack of aluminum. The center of gravity is slightly lowered as a result. The front of the pod is the same however, so I still think our Heavy Duty pod is still a good deal. The adjustment notches are removed on the center ear. The outer holes for the side links are surrounded by 2-3 times more material and then there are those two extra holes in case you want to add a 3-link at some time in the future. You will probably never break this new heavy duty pod bottom plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bottom Plate003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	494455   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bottom Plate002.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	494456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pod Bottom Plate, Heavy Duty, Green lines.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	237.5 KB