R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 vehicles, have they killed the RC industry?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
SPEEDSKI
Tech Addict

First of all, this is just my opinion:

1/8th scale has brought ALOT of racers to RC just because of the "cool" factor. (they are plain bad ass)

One thing I want to point out. To me this is a Sport/and to some it is a hobby. It is both, it just depends how you approach it.

The main thing that i believe would help the Sport/Hobby would be a "League" that would set race guidelines and general rules to help all tracks new and old to have some sort of continuity. I am not talking about point series etc. One of the main things around my area and surrounding states is we do not just race at different tracks, its always a different program. Qual points, rocket round, different heat times, different main times........

This would just be a general set a rules to follow and make each tracks racing a industry standard. You cannot let the racers run the races, it always becomes a pissing match over EVERYTHING!!! If I knew i was going to drive 5 hrs away (which happens often) and I already knew what I was getting into it would help me make my decisions on when and where to go.

I drove 5 hours to a track once, after arriving on friday night for practice and I was there for 20 min, they said "track is closed" It was 7 pm?? There were 40 plus racers there ready to practice. Tracks need to open on every friday night if they expect racers to travel, this is a "no brainer" to me.

Tracks seem to want everyones money, but very few tracks show that they actually appreciate us even coming. This is racing, so ven club races should give out plaques etc. Most trophies can be made for as little a $5 each. Give us something to race for every weekend.

Every track should have Sportsman class!!!!!!!!!!!, again, a no brainer. For a new racer to be made to run with the fast guys is just plain stupid. Alot of times, the fast guys want the entry fee for the Cash Payout, yet they complain when the new guys won't get out of the way??? I know several racers this year that came out a couple times and then never came back. I searched out tracks that had sport classes and it has helped me move into the pro class, it was fun to run up front, get to run long mains and bring home a trophy now and then, it kept me focused on the ultimate goal which was to move up to the next class. ALOT OF TRACKS MISS THE BOAT ON THIS!! Not to mention, tracks with shops should love sportmans classes cuz they break more parts. LOL Most seasoned racers bring their own gear and parts anyway.

I always hear everyone saying, we need to grow the sport, yet most so nothing to help the new guys. My group has grown from 3 guys to almost a dozen now, most of us being new, we all help each other, we are approachable, and we all travel to events together. If a new guy comes out, the track should have dedicated racers that are willing to help pit or just help the new guys with daily race items. It is alot more fun to go racing with a bunch of friends.

I could keep going, but my I think I have made my points:

Here is my final thoughts.......

I am NOT talking about "RC Pro", I am talking more like "Little League", just a basic rule book and guidelines for racers and tracks.

Now, if we are going to expect more from our tracks, we need to expect to pay more to race!! We have several thousands of $$$ in gear, but expect to only pay $15 to race??? I have no problem paying $20 - $30 as long as I get my money's worth...I am not talking cash payouts etc, just good racing and some run time.

I have just never understood all the "Cash Races", with tough times and tracks just hanging on, to pay out $$$ for RC racing is just silly to me.

Keep the $$$ and put that into the tracks and the quality of racing.

I only wrote this because I am addicted to this great hobby/sport.