R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 vehicles, have they killed the RC industry?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Brandon Melton
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Problem with 1/8th scale is that usually only one event a month to attend and it costs a ton of money...

Personally love the class , but quiting it just because of the once a month race thing , have to travel , spend hundreds & hundreds of dollars on tires & spare parts ....
cus if you break , no facility to buy a spare anywhere...

1/10th club racing is just as fun and cost way less to play .
and I can race every week two or three days a week ....

No mass spares needed because the part is hanging on the wall...
I guess that's because of where you live. If I wanted I could race somewhere every weekend, and every weekend be at a different track, not just the same one running over and over.

As to the question, I think it has more appeal because of a few reasons.

1.) Compared to 5-10 years ago, the engines are easier to tune and there are even "budget engines" that you can be competitive with, allowing average Joe's to stay running for a whole 30 minues. I remember you had to be an expert racer just to get an engine to run OK.
2.) They are durable, period. Most hard crashes with 1/10 offroad or TC leads to broken parts and DNF's. So as a novice and learning driver, you can crash the cars alot have have a much better chance of finishing the race.
3.) Much, MUCH, easier to build a track and less money to run one as opposed to TC or indoor electric offroad. Any Joe Guy Racer with a skid steer can build a good track at his house and get people to come race. Literally half the tracks I race on are at peoples houses, and they are great tracks. It took a machine, a days work, and some spare land, not a brick and mortar building, or an expensive slab of ashalt that you have to gain the money back out of.