R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - If you were to build an extremely fast car from scratch you would.....
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
austinitsua
Tech Rookie

Questions?? If you were to build an extremely fast car from scratch you would.....

Let me start off with a little background info...

I'm a senior at the University of Kansas majoring in mechanical engineering. For my senior design project, we are converting an abandoned 1974 VW Beetle into a 500 mpg Hybrid. All our testing and theoretical work will be done on the 1/8th scale RC level. This has huge cost and time advantages over the full scale (and all the same concepts carry over VERY well). Testing will be done on homemade inertia dynos, in wind tunnels, stress modeling programs, and of course on the street. There are 6 groups with 4-5 people in each group. Each group is doing something different. Our group is building the fastest car possible Minimum goal is 100mph and I would really like to be in the 135mph range.

Our body will be based around a 2010 Camaro (aerodynamically modified), no salt flat looking torpedo.

My question is, if you were in my position, how would you go about building this car. Everything can either be built from scratch or purchased as "off-the-shelf". We are open to all ideas. Here's a little bit of where I was leaning towards.

Modifying the E-Revo chassis. Using the two motor setup (2 Mamba Monster Combos). Converting it to rear wheel drive only. Smaller a-arm suspension (1/10th or 1/12th scale). Single servo steering (vs. E-Revo dual servo). 2500mAh 6S Lipo packs. Gearing Around 3:1 or 2:1. Thoughts?

Here's a link to our website if anyone is interested (it is currently being updated for the 09-10 team)

EcoHawks.org

And if anyone is interested in sponsoring our efforts on any level, feel free to contact me at [email protected]