R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Good First Truggy?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM
JAMMINKRAZY
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I've had this same question about a good first truggy, but let's expand on joshjohnson93's original post.

I'm in a slightly different situation. I'm already racing SCT, but I want to expand into the truggy class next season. I also already have a radio, starter box, and a few other misc. "need to have" items to run a buggy/truggy.

Most of the guys on my track run Mugen (MBX5T & 6T), RC8T's, or Losi 8T 2.0's. There are two Jammin's, but they're kind of the odd balls. Support is a valid point, but my LHS has said they would gladly stock the usual wear items for anyone who had a different brand of vehicle. My main concern is durability and driveability.

From speaking to everyone in the truggy class, the consensus is that the Mugen is the most forgiving & easiest to drive. The Losi is the most economical RTR, but the least durable due to so-so plastic, and the RC8T is the most dated design, but is a strong truggy. I'd like to get an opinion from you guys as to what you think a good first truggy would be assuming that I don't necessarily need to purchase an RTR since I already have a good amount of equipment.

I've already read A LOT of debate between the RC8T, and the 8T 2.0. What is the opinion on these two, and the other truggies I have listed below for a person just moving into the class? Ignore price for the moment (that's a whole other discussion). I'm looking for just durability, and ease of set-up / driving for a person new to the class, but not new to racing.

Josh, hopefully this will gve you some other options to look at too...

Mugen MBX6T
Kyosho ST-RR
X-Ray XT8 (2009 spec)
Tamiya 801-XT
Jammin X2
O'Donnell Z01T
LOL losi the least durable, I doubt it. These trucks are indestructible. I have yet to have a single vehicle caused DNF with my losi. I've had it since they were first released. Yes they have a few issues out of the box, but thay are all easily fixable. Losi plastic also does get sloppy quickly, but the cars run beter like that. IMO losi is one of the toughest trucks made. I have put mine through hell and it's never missed a beat. I broke way more parts on my jammin's when I ran them. I was constantly breaking arms, and wearing out center universal joints, and other stupid little issues. I'm not saying the jammin's are not great trucks, but IMO the losi is tougher and a faster truggy.