Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 06:24 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ride Height and Droop

Originally posted by rinkrat99
Hi all,

I am setting up the TC3 Racer kit for rug racing this week but I am having major difficulties getting the ride height set properly.

If I fully remove all the preload spacer, the chassis will almost touch the ground. I figure thats normal. If I go with the kit spacers 1/8" front and 3/16" rear, the ride height is well above 7 mm.

The problem I think is that when there are no spacers, the spring does not contact the spring cup which is at the upper most position touching the shock body.

If I use spacers which do not allow full contact with the spring collar and spring cup in order to get the 5mm ride height, then the suspension arm does not rebound down because of the lack of spring force.

Does this make sense? how can I fix this?

Thanks
I think I know what you mean. Set the ride height with your car equipped as if you were about to race ie with your race pack in position, motor, pinion etc etc. Push the car down onto a level surface and allow it to rebound and level itself. Now it is ready for ride height measurements. You should check both the front and the rear ride height. Under most circumstances, you will want this to be the same. I recommend 5mm front and back.

Set as per the manual, the car should have 6mm ride height. If not, adjust the length of the shocks accordingly. You may also find that the kit springs maybe a little short. If so, just stretch them a little to take up the slack. Ensure the rear springs are the same length before fitting them to the shocks. Check the same for the front.

Don't be afraid to use whatever pre-load spacers you need to get the car's ride height the way you need it. The kit standard setting shouldn't be far off though - if it is, check to ensure everything is the way it should be.

Remember - the droop should be adjusted by using the droop screws. DONT use them to set the ride height!! (I've seen people do this!! )

I hope this helps.