R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 AM
TimNJ
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hi guys,
I've noticed that there hasn't been much, if any talk about RS setups for 1/12 scale with a 1S/13.5 setup, so I figured I'd post some of my findings in case it might be of use to anyone.

This is on a medium grip, very small/tight/technical carpet track and I run a 12R5 with the Tekin RS (V200), Tekin Redline 13.5 and SMC 4900 40C 1S lipo pack, Novak Smart Boost & 9650 servo.

Initially, I started out pretty conservative with gearing and settings in the RS:
10 boost
12 physical timing
0 drag brake
100 brake
78/46 gearing on 45mm tires (then worked my way up to 75/47 and 30 degrees of total timing by going to "18" on the boost)
0 Turbo
TP: 4

The car was good like this, but lacked a bit on both the top and bottom ends. I played with a bunch of different gearing combos and found 75/47 to be better, but never quite got the feel I wanted.

So last night I made some big changes and got the car pretty darn near perfect on this track. It was almost as if I had put a different speedo and motor in the car:
Full boost
0 physical timing
0 drag brake
100 brake
75/47 gearing on 44mm tires
0 turbo
TP: 4

The car has plenty of bottom end rip now, is great in the midrange, and only lacks a tiny bit on the top end, which I will cure with the turbo feature and/or making a slight change in rollout.

You just can't beat the RS for tunability and performance. In just 2 races back on the rug this year, with the same car and nearly the same setup as I used with 17.5/4 cell, I'm already .2 - .3 per lap better than I was at the end of last season running a competitor's ESC and motor package.

Just thought I'd post all of that in case it might help someone who is new to running the RS 1S/13.5 in 1/12 scale.