R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Different radios interpret positive and negative expo differently, you'd just have to look into your own radio to find out which way to set it.
That would be lame, but I regret to say, it may be true.
Think of it this way.
An exponential is a function that varies very little around 0 (zero=rest or neutral position) and a lot at extreme values (an example is y=e^x) whereas a logarithmic function varies a lot around 0 and very little at higher values (y=lnx).

Some radios (and manuals) will talk about and display "exp", others "ln". These I suppose are short for "exponential" and "logarithmic" (or they should be). Both will scroll from negative (-100%) to positive (+100%) values, meaning probably that say a radio with "exp" applies an exponential response curve when values are positive (say +10%) and a logarithmic response curve when values are negative (say -10%). Of course, when the value is zero, the response wil be linear. The response curves are in reverse of course when the radio talks about "ln". I think this is where the feeling that different radios interpret differently "positive" and "negative" (exponential) comes from.

Clear as mud?