R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Easy differential rebuilding
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 PM
aaron2u
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
never heard of putting paper towels in the diff housing to remove the grease. Do you just stuff the paper inside the spider gears and put the crown and conical gear back together to soak it up? sounds like a good idea.

also never heard of putting grease on the gears. I assume you are talking about the bevel and conical. mine have almost no wear and i have never put grease in 5 gallons. what are the benifits of this?

good info. Anyone got any more??

I work alot so my buggy is broken down for a couple days a week so i can run on the weekends. Any ways to streamline is always nice
Stuff the paper towel in and rotate the drive cup with the gears still inside the diff, don't put the diff back together with the paper towels inside as you'd probably jam it up. Find a clean spot on the paper towel and repeat if necessary. Usually takes 2-3 times depending on how much fluid is in the diff. Doing it this way, you shouldn't have to take the internal gears out very often, minimizing tuning time.

I wouldn't call this rebuilding a diff, but more of a faster way of tuning I guess. Not sure, I need to read the manual, but I believe Mugen recommends grease on the gears.