R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2nd cracked case.. engine mount problem. any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
pdmustgt
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by builtb16a
ok update.

i went to the LHS, and explained my frustration. and the store managers answer was, "maybe that engine wont fit in your truck..."

my jaw dropped. and i asked, well... why did you sell me that engine. and why did you sell me a truck. its not like i bought all my shit on ebay, and im coming to you with my problems.. this is stuff you sold me. and i can't make any sense of buying cases and motors because the mounts aren't right. i asked, this XTM truggy, your telling me there isn't an option for more power, more performance.. only replacement XTM motors.. which are JUNK... why would you sell me a hop up engine.

he kinda gave up, but the store supervisor, a off road nitro veteran, stepped in before i got buck wild up in the store.

i explained my problems and how im breaking these case mounts.. twice. and showed him a ground down modified mount, these RC8 moutns, and how the RC8 fits soo much better than the XTM slider style mounts..

its kinda hard to explain, but on that axial block, right next to the backing plate, is a raised edge from the cast. my option was to grind that down, or oblong the mounting holes on the case ear. EITHER WAY, ONCE THE GOOD CASE BREAKS, IVE MODIFIED IT, AND IM SHIT-OUT-OF-LUCK!

so i refused to take that answer. he installed the smallest collet he could find. used about 5 shims on the outer clutch bell housing, and it was SUPER close to fitting. it was on the outer edge of the clutch bell, and barley flush, so we went option 2. XTM mounts bolted up to the hump near the backing plate, and had to move the bell the other way. basically opposite.

so after understanding what he was trying to do.. and what i was doing before (just grinding down the inside to get over the hump) i took the handy dremel, and notched about 4MM out of the inner side of the mount on each side, near the back, in order for the mount to clear the hump.

that worked. and so far, so good. the store sup. had to bust out his personal tools, find shims.. a different collet, and well, about an hour of his time, to work on this motor. (not that he wasn't getting paid) but atleast he felt my frustration, and the store managers answer of "you bought the wrong motor"...

i'll post pics of my modified mounts, and how its sitting on the spur tomorrow. im glad i got this under control, and i can start enjoying this .28 instead of kicking rocks, and beating my dog.lol
Your LHS person is full of it

Like I said earlier if the motor is interfearing with the mounts Ofna has shims that you can put between them to solve this problem