R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Re-released Vintage Tamiyas
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 PM
tom_chang79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slotracer577

I used to run the gears from my rough rider in my RC 10 with an early MIP transmission. Funny that the MIP was just tamaya gears with a thorp diff to fit into an RC-10. That then became the stealth transmission after the dropped the 6 gear rc-10 transmission.

John

That's interesting. I never knew that at all... I used to love those 3-gear MIP transmission before the "Stealth" days. They were the precursor to almost all the 3-gear transmissions that are used in almost all the 2wd buggy/trucks today. I've met Eustace Moore a couple of times at my local track way back when (The Race Place). I've always loved and still love all of his company's products.

All my wrenches, metric and standard sizes, are the MIP/Thorp wrenches. Abused the crap out of them and the tip still holds its shape!!!

Regarding the buggy champ - freaking excellent and sexy ride! All the buggies are such cookie-cutter type these days. Not that I'm complaining, modern rides perform great, but these "vintage-era" style RCs are awesome, they seem like Rube-Goldberg type of RCs with all the parts that we consider extraneous, but it's because of these machines that we get such simplified and elegant machines we have today...

Tamiya's marketing folks are geniuses. They probably knew that the kids that grew up wanting/had their earlier rides grew up, have a job, and now part of the consumer crowd...

I know that I love my re-re Fire Dragon. It's not the fastest or the best performing one, but man, I love driving that guy on the street just as I used to do with my old RC cars as a kid...