R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 AM
PitNamedGordie
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by amnesia
Hi all,

I spent most of last week's evenings finishing the carbon edges of my new Photon chassis. Saturday was my first opportunity to start the build proper, although I had a couple of problems with it...

First thing I have to mention is that a one piece thrust bearing in the diff would save a whole lot of effort trying to get the diff together. Once done, though, the diff is lovely and smooth (and sooo much easier to adjust than the TRF 415 diffs that you have to remove to tighten). The integrated dust covers are a work of genius

The second annoyance I have is that the centre pulley and spur gear is a P.I.T.A. to assemble. Although I reamed the holes in the spur gear I couldn't get the pulleys to seat properly and as a result the spur gear wobbles when spun. I suspect I haven't reamed enough out of the spur and one 'peg' isn't seated properly, so will have another go later. I wonder if alloy parts for the centre pulleys will be a good option part ?

The last thing of note, was that the front belt seems to rub very slightly on the bottom plate cut-out when running the front spool cams on a loose setting (ie, for a tight, new belt). Although not a massive issue, this could be avoided by making the cut-out on the lower deck 2 or 3mm longer towards the back of the chassis with a file.

It is possible that these problems are user error / inexperience, but I thought I would post them in case anyone else has had issues.

Still a cracking piece of kit... can't wait to run it on Friday

Daniel.

The spur gear pulley is fine as long as you ream the holes enough. My concern is that since you have installed it with it not seated properly and you may have crushed the inserts that go into the holes on the spur. This will make mounting the spur gear more difficult. I use PRS spur gears and I did not have to ream the holes at all.

As far as the diff rubbing the cut out in the chassis, make sure you have the shims installed correctly...one on each side. If you try to shim your diff using two shims on either side this may cause rubbing.