R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4RS 2009
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
gtrmx
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=afm;6177886]
Originally Posted by gtrmx
It was very frustrating for me to have my engine loose all its compression two weeks ago......

QUOTE]

Thought you might want to try this next time...

Don’t confuse compression with pinch; Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well it seals as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If there’s none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch. The fastest engines I use, have zero pinch.

AFM
Hi AFM,

Thanks for your advise!!

I have a well known fuel manufacturer giving me a hand with this, and he had already given me a few pointers. My engine has no compression and no pinch. Air bubbles do escape! And there was no way the engine would hold idle.

I had sent him pictures of my engine internals and he said there is a nice carbon film all around the places where it should be, except for a small section on the lubrication rings. That is why we know it lost compression for good. There are no scratches or signs of leaning and no good reason for an engine with such short life to let go like this...

And he also mentioned that the least pinch the engine has, the faster it will be. That is why factory driver engines are so fast. So if I manage to recover just a bit of compression by pinching the sleeve very gently I may get to that sweet spot, little pinch and just enough compression...

AFM, keep the advise coming, it is greatly appreciated!! Thanks for taking the time!!

Last edited by gtrmx; 08-08-2009 at 11:26 AM.