R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cylinder Modifications for power increase
Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 PM
MSmitty
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks - but further questions

Roelof,

Thank for the link to you description of tuning, timing etc.
I was not aware of the carb opening restriction. All things being equal, if I am successful at modifying the ports with side to side enlargements, and I need aa bigger carb, I could purchase one.

"Changing crankshaft timing can do a lot to get more power or more rpm, it can only be done by grinding", ,

In your link - could you explain the above quote from your post in a little more detail?

Also, the 12XZ I mentioned earlier - is a SOB to start with an OFNA box and 12v 7a battery. Its in my sprint car from Custom Works (Sprint Car) and the flywheel is very narrow and does not have sharp teeth. It either stalls the starter of just grinds away the wheel. The engine is stock, no mods at all. but at the top of the stroke with the head off it pushes the cylinder right out and you can hardly force it down. Any ideas how I can start this beast any easier? I ran the engine on a drill for hours using two cycle engine oil to lube it. It did free it up quite a bit but with compression added its still a bear to turn over. The first time I started it, the glow plug was loose so it would just turn over. Need some help here!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help, both of you!
Matthew