R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Gear ratio question
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
ep10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
For the second question, your car will accelerate slower with the less torquey motor (which it is difficult to say which one it is with brushless as there are very many variables). All else being equal lower wind motors have less torque, so to gain some of it back you need to run higher gear ratios.
For application, it means, while using a 17.5 (<== low wind motor), to gain some torque back so need to run a higher gear ration (<== something like 5:1, 6:1.... etc)???

Am I having a wrong equation??

I think, 17.5 with 6:1, will have more top-speed, then 17.5 with 9:1..... I am confused again.

Originally Posted by niznai
That being said, if you break traction, your wheels will spin crazily with a lower turn motor sooner than with a higher turn (assuming gearing is kept the same). This is a constant danger with low turn motors because they can break traction very easily. All you need is to unload a wheel in a turn and voila! Instant spinout. Solution is to have good tires and gear appropiately.

But this is not all there is to it.
Please sorry for the novice dumpS, (<=== that's me ) While you mentioned lower turn and higher turn motor, what are they refering to? Coz for my understanding, in brushed 9T called a lower turn, 27T is higher turn???? (I dunno if this is correct or not).

And then, in brushless, 3.5 is higher or lower, compared to 13.5???

Please give me some lessons....

Thank you very much.