R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
dangerwr
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitronutzzz
Silly question..anyone poke holes in their body to get air flowing in for cooling? If so what's an ideal position for the 8ight? I plan on running the MMM 2200KV and a zippy 5000ma 20c and all these threads got me scared sh!tless about it "thermaling"..haha
Well, to answer your question--I would cut out the front window and use a glue gun to place in some screen. I do this and it appears to work well--looks cool too and get a lot of compliments (if you are into that kind of thing).

Now, your system will not "thermal" since it is sensorless--it will simply overheat. Thermaling, in my opinion, is when a sensored brushless system shuts itself down b/c it gets too hot. The MMM combo will simply get too hot and create damage if operated incorrectly.

I believe your concern should be the 20C packs. Make sure you know the amps that these packs deliver and what the motor wants. If your motor wants to draw a higher continuous current higher than your packs deliver you run the very likely risk of "puffing" the packs. This, if you do not already know, essentially destroys the batteries and become a potential fire hazard if you try to recharge them.

Many will recommend you do not run 20C packs with 1/8th scale but really depends on your motor. Just so you know . . .

Last edited by dangerwr; 08-05-2009 at 09:27 AM.