R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is Pro4 4wd SC the next big thing?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
AE_SC_Racing
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stockslasher
I have been reading all the debats about this 4WD potential. It is absolutely correct that an 1/8th scale buggy chassis will fit under a SCT body. I was planning to buy an RC8e and some SC8 parts to make an 1/10th scale 4WD SCT model. The cost was too much for me to realize this. The RC8e kit is $400 as a roller. You would need a decent powertrain and battery to really make this competitive with the 2WD models. Therefore I am sticking with the 2WD for now.

Another thing to consider is the 1:1 TORC series. The Pro-2 class has always been the premier class. The only advantage 4WD gets is on sloppy lose or muddy tracks. In R/C we don't like the mud fest. The added weight of 4WD has be overcome with power that you may never be able to put down through the SCT tires.

I also have a 1/16 Mini Slash that I run. I baught this cause I wanted to try 4WD and Brushless. This is the hardest truck I have ever tried to drive. I am still working through the chassis set-up and may convert to E-Revo cause the Mini class is merged in my area.

So in the end we'll see what happens. The majors will have to support with E-Slayer, Losi, AE, etc. OFNA is the only one I heard that is looking at a 4WD SCT.
No-one knows what the price for these new ofna/jammin kits are going to be. It could be something stupid but will be alot more than the SC10, really think about it. You have aluminum chassis, 3 diffs, proline beadlocks etc. etc. SC8E may be $389 but look at 4WD 1/10 buggies and they are $340 ish. Say Tekin RX8 combo is $330, decent sensorless 1/10 combo is same price. SC8E probably would sell better if there was a class and competition for it,for once AE has been the 1st to bring out a class with no-one else (look at 4wd buggies, they took forever to come out with a buggy) Would be nice to if AE bought out a nitro kit roller instead of a rtr but most people covert to brushless anyway.