R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Battery management question
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 05:00 AM
John Fontaine
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you ask 1000 people, 1000 difference responces will be given. So for that, I will give my 1 response that has given me the best power/punch from the pack without hurting the pack leading to long life.

I discharge and store GP3300's at 5.4v/pack for 6 cell, 3.6 v/pack for 4 cell packs.

The morning of the race day, I tray the cells down so the cells are all equalized. I then charge the pack on my CE GFX at 6 amps for stock, 5 amps for mod (to gain runtime but less voltage) at .03 - .05 peak detect. The cells should be 145-155 degrees. I try and have them peak as close to running the race that I can. If the race isn't run withing 5 minutes from peaking, I repeak at the same amperage rate at .01 so they do not over heat the cells. After the race is finished, and I won I discharge the pack down to 5.4 v/6 pack and 3.6v/4 pack and let the air cool (No cooling fans!) atleast an hour and a half before recharging so the internal cell structures rest. I never race the pack more than 2 times a day.

This process has awesome results for me, but could vary do to temperature/humidity. I gain the best results from the pack from local environment of 75-85ºF.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know or check the Fukuyama Racing thread here at RCTech for more discussion.

John