R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - rank the top five buggies
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
ganymede
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well said! Well said! If Hara gave me his D8, I will still be the last...

Originally Posted by captain america
I see that some people like to quote victory stats to justify their choices. I suppose you can go that route of you choose, but I don't give much credibility to high-profile wins and chapionships. Here's why.

Firstly, it's all in the driver. There are a handful of drivers that are top-tier, like Drake, Truhe, Hara, etc) that are capable of winning, regardless of the sponsorship sticker that you slap on the side of the bodyshell. Heck, they could probably still win driving a Hyper 7 and a little luck.

-The rest of us are, for the most part, nowhere near their level, and can't really exploit a given chassis or engine's maximum potential, so much of the "this car is faster than that car" is mostly moot.

Secondly, the top-tier drivers don't pay for their gear, be it cars, parts, engines, etc; they really couldn't care less if parts wear-out/need replacing after one main; they'll just toss the worn part over their shoulder, and bolt-on a brand-spanking new part, or pull a whole new car out of the box and keep going. And since they are "team" drivers, they never have to worry about a shortage of spares, because they have the direct backing of the sponsor, the very best and newest parts, and all of its ressources right at their fingertips.

-Those of us sponsored by our wallets, actually need to take into consideration not only the cost of spares & upgrades, but also availability (or lack thereof.) Some parts of the world are virtual toilets for R/C activity (like Quebec) so helpful hobby shops are few & far between, and having to order from overseas can be an exercise in patience, sanity, and a drain on the wallet.

Thirdly, because of the top-tier drivers' wealth of expertise and experience, they don't need anyone to help them troubleshoot the car, geometry or settings, since they contributed themselves to its design, and know their gear practically inside and out, in their sleep, with one hand tied behind their back.

-Many weekend warriors and novices (like myself) rely on sites like these to troubleshoot many of our problems (God bless the internet!) Unfortunately, some companies are very cryptic with helpful info, or just not helpful at all. For example, if I has one of those Team Magic abominations, I think I'd be crying my eyes out for lack of parts, club & technical support.

Anyway, all this to say that some of us, for the reasons listed above, have very different criteria in selecting gear than the big boys.