R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4RS 2009
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 AM
gtrmx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH
has anyone had this problem with there clutch rubbing the 2 speed housing my car was running ok but then it just stop then i seen that the two parts were rubbing and my clutch shoe melted i took the clutch apart and i think it was because of the shims i had behind the bearing but now i need a new clutch shoe to find out. i love the car i hope you guys can help me out thanks
Let's see if I am understanding your problem. I am sorry if my following words result unnecessary as you may already know this, but that would only reflect my lack of understading of your question.

I am going to assume that you have already set your clutchbell clearance somewhere between .4 to .7mm, per the instructions.

Once you have that set, then remove the clutch bell again and place enough shims between the clutch spring nut and the first bearing (the one closer to the engine's case) so that the bell is spaced out and still allows the thrust bearing to move freely.

After tightening down the clutch bell against the engine, there should now be a .1 mm gap in which the bell will move freely without touching the shoe.

Now the engine will not make the clutch engage until the revs are high enough, just like usual, but the bell will not overheat the shoe.

Typically, instructions will always tell you to add shims on the outside of the bearing retainer but will hardly ever tell you to remove the bell and bearings again to add some more shims inside...

Please let me know if this is what you are asking for. If I am wrong then I would like to try the other thing I am thinking about to be your problem.