R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Fred_B
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
i haven't seen a response to post yet (i may have missed it) and if i understand what is trying to said i agree.

I've keep reading about dropping 4 teeth, or 6 teeth or whatever, it seems to me that a brushless motor, has a gear ratio that it runs best at. different brands motors have a different gear ratio IMO. at home i ran a 5.2 all the time, when i went to jonesboro i discovered that by going to a 4.7 the motor ran well but got hot, but i needed more if i was going to even think about running with Mr. Tag, so i tried a different size spur and went to a 4.23 and the motor actually ran cooler. when i came home i ran the same ratio and ran away with the races. I've used this ratio at jonesboro, med size outdoor track and hot has hell temps, I used the same ratio at SIR air conditioned indoor asphalt small track and at Fantasy World Racing track, google it for videos that show the size of track. last week i got to try version 199 after using version 198 the week before, I geared down and felt i lost all the infield rip the car had while only maintaining the same straight away speed. i geared back up, infield rip came back and straight away speed went up. what am i doing wrong or different then everyone else. or is it one of those wierd things that happens some times. thanks and looking forward to 200.
Some times the motor will run hot if it's revving out all the time. In that case running a bigger pinion can actually make the motor run cooler. The sweet spot gets smaller as you add timing.

Just goes to show that you need to practice with a few different ratio's and find the best gear for what you're running.