R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Edumakated
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

At the club level, who cares? Run them both together if the class isn't big enough to stand on its own. The class is still new and a lot of people are still figuring out the kinks. I am sure by end of next year there will be more than enough at most tracks to run seperately.

I can understand the need to keep 'em seperate to pro/national races, but even then I find it a muchado about nothing. Any low end power advantage that an electric has can be overshadowed by other flaws. They aren't all plug and play. 95% of this sport is driver skill regardless of what you are driving. If you are pulling up the rear in the D main, it isn't because some guy shows up with an electric.

1) The cars can run 15-20 minute mains without a battery swap if setup properly. Most electrics aren't because the mfg's are pushing overpowered kits right now. Kind of like running .32's or .28s in your nitro buggy and complaining about mileage.

2) Electrics do flame out - literally. Seriously, batteries come unplugged after casing a jump, motors and speed controls over heat, motor mounts shift, lipo loses a cell, etc. I have had plenty of DNFs for technical issues just like a nitro flaming out.

If running a race longer than 10 minutes, just take a simulated pit stop and keep on trucking.

The class is growing exponentially. Next time you are at the track, try driving an electric. Sure, no smoke and noise, but I am sure the smile on your face will be permanent after pulling the trigger.

We should be encouraging as many folks to come to the tracks as possible.