R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
cosmo1974
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Well, you will feel more the rear toe change than the "sweep" in the rear arms. But, since HB has released 1 deg aluminum rear hubs, you can actually play with this balance. Less rear toe just usually frees the back end up overall. More will usually create more rear grip, and allow the car to turn in a bit crisper too. The information I have provided for arm sweep is mainly just talking about the front end of the car. But I will elaborate on what it can do for you in the rear, since we now have 1 deg rear hubs available.

Currently, most on the Cyclone run all inboard rear toe in. This is adjusted through the suspension block. If I have a 0 deg outer hub, and 3 deg of toe at the block, thats 3 deg of inboard toe, and 0 deg outboard. This gives the maximum amount of forward grip comming out of a corner, and allows he car to turn in a little quicker entering the corner as well.

Now, if we use the 1 deg hubs we now have 1 deg of outboard toe in. So lets say we want 3 deg of total toe in for comparison to the previous situation I have explained. You will need to run a 2 deg rear toe block, and 1 deg outer hub. This gives you a total of 3 deg of toe in still, but it's just distributed between the inside and outside. Generally, this setup will give slightly smoother turn in, and more on power steering through the middle and exit of the corner. I like to use this kind of setup on REALLY high bite tracks (foam tires on carpet typically) since it smooths the car out a bit, and helps the rear end rotate a little more without it feeling unstable. You do loose forward grip though, so in some situations when the grip isn't high enough it can be a disadvantage.

-Korey
(1) Current track is considered low to medium grip.
(2) However, a new refurbished track, which will be opening in about a month or two, has applied a special paint to the surface. It will generate LOTS of grip (at least initially) until the track beds in (based on others experience with the same paint). So the tip may be useful even with rubbers on asphalt ...

Thanks