R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What do I need to do to maintain an RC car?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
freestylinmotox
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sokar
It is.

I don't race (yet), but thanks for the advice. For car cleaning, a compressor seems useless because the dirt binds with the oil and liquid to make a delightful muck, which the air compressor is useless against. for cleaning, I remove the servos and receiver, blast the shizz out of it with a hose, and coat everything in WD40 to prevent rust. Is this a good cleaning method?

As for bearings, I thought WD40 swelled them up, degreased them, and dried them which make them seize up and become useless. For bearings, I was under the impression you needed grease, not WD40. But I could be wrong.
Well it also depends on what material your local track is made up of (top soil, fill dirt, clay, clay/dirt mix, etc.) Really dry tracks, the dirt doesnt usually stick to your vehicle. On a clay track, that might be another issue. Thats also where the simple green comes in. I spray my vehicles down with simple green then use the compressor to air all the dirt/residue off. You would be amazed at what simple green can do! An air compressor is also good to get to places you cant reach. Hosing it down also works like people have stated above.

wd-40 is a lubricant so it DOESN'T do any damage. wd-40 also prevents rust so thats another plus!

Last edited by freestylinmotox; 07-24-2009 at 08:06 PM.