R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - shaft driven car are better?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2003, 05:05 AM
tIANcI
Tech Master

Originally posted by treky11
I have a NTC3 shaft drive car and the torque steer never happens, its a myth in my book. The car accelerates harder than any belt car and is faster out of the hole.

The difference in driving is becuase a shaft drive has little to no drag on the drive train, unlike a belt car. So most people that are used to driving a belt car have to learn to use brakes a little more with a shaft drive to compensate for the lack of drag in the transmission.
I have to agree with treky about the torque steer, I did not notice is much in my NTC3. As for the accelleration out of the hole I cannot say the NTC3 is faster, after running both the NTC3 and the Mugen, I will say the Mugen has a faster out of hole shot, much fater than the NTC3 and its obvious.

The main difference in handling between the shaft and belt is:

1. shaft is smoother (will have to use brakes a bit)
2. shaft car feels like it is floating, the belt feels like it is attached to the ground (this DOES NOT mean the TC3 has lousy traction, just the feel only)
3. shaft car like NTC3 can turn on a dime, you go in hard, brake hard and turn hard, belt cars can't do that well, your driving techniques are just different

This is what I have noticed from having owned both car. You cannot say one is better than the other but they are like apples and oranges. Only complain for the NTC3 is that the car is relatively fragile.