R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What happened ???
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
last
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slakr
Great topic, a lot of good comments from all and still peaceful

One of the things that caught my attention was that somebody mentioned symantics...

Def: To sponsor something is to support an event, activity, person, or organization financially or through the provision of products or services

Probably many RCers feel that being truley sponsored should only be earned with hard work, dedication, effort, positive attitude, proper promotion and sound ethics (the last is my favorite)... and maybe even to some extent an undefined amount of time in rank. For the most part, this is where I fit in too.

Sometimes it seems that too often what is wanted is instant gratification, everything the quick & easy way and that rewards should be given without effort or sacrafice.

I see no issue with TT. RC comradery, a way to share information & a like interest and yes, even potential buying power. So, by definition it probably does qualify as sponsorship; however, the symantics of the word and the definition of the word is something different for many of us.

But to digress... I started RC in the mid 80's bashing with a Tamiya Grasshoper and then racing with a Losi JRX2. I raced at a place in western NY called RC Cars & Guitars. I also played guitar... man that was one of the most awesome places to be when I was younger
semantics: the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings

Which is what this is all about. Sponsorship vs discount program just sugar coating bro....

In the end its grown men and their toys.