R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - eZRUN brushless system
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 AM
gixer
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Firstly your theroy you quote " if i buy a bigger heavier car i can then fit a faster/more kv motor." is flawed in that you buy motors with high kv for lighter cars (more revs - 1/18 cars have 8000 and 9000 kv options) and lower kv's for bigger cars (more torque rock crawlers have 1900kv option)

Having thought about it a bit I would buy the 6000kv (5.5t) for my tt01 and run it once or twice in my Slash and would not really consider the 4100 (9t) as it would marginally faster than my 10t

Yes the 60a indicates the end limits only, not start limits. There will a very slight efficiency benefit in say using a 30a on same setup than the 60a, but nothing to even consider helpful. Remember that the smallest trigger response will cause the motor to turn very slowly - the 60a esc now is acting like a 1a esc as your finger squeezes it's limits are redifined to a maximum of 60a continuous (a burst of I think 180 amp on the this particular esc), your finger determining the limit - does this make sense?
The last bit makes perfect sense.
You'd get a slightly finer control on a 30a Esc than a 60a Esc, but it seems like the difference is less than most of us can actually notice.

I really don't understand the kv requirements though.
To be honest i think the mods have been patient with me so far for hi-jacking this thread though so i really don't want to push me luck as a noob.

So if anyone has any links i'll happily read away.
If not i do have 1 more question please.

I've read up on BLDC motors, i understand how the differ from brushed motor and i understand how they work.
I also understand that rock crawlers will be geared for better torque and less speed.

But if say i went say brushless in my nitro firestorm then surely it would need a motor with more current draw than a motor in my pro3, if the top speed target was the same?

Wouldn't classing motors in a power/speed context be more accurate say 4600kv at 16k rpm?

I'm really enjoying learning all this, so if my enthusiasm is getting the best of me please just direct me towards some good faq pages and i'll lap em up.

Cheers
Mark