R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 AM
doriftu
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Let me share a trick that I have known about for about 10 years. Many people may know this many may not

When building a TA03 diff or even the Manta Ray diff. David Jun would remove the trust bearing, the 2 small cone washers, and 1 of the larger cone washers. He would then replace these items with a new fresh 11mm x 5mm (1150) bearing, He prefered a Rubber sealled bearing, because he would remove the rubber seals, Clean out the original grease, and re-pack it with a thick synthetic (real Car) grease and re-install the rubber seals. Put the bearing in the diff housing first, then the 2 clam shell washers, then the bolt.
When installing the clam shell washers you want to have the large diameter of the washers touching each other and the small diameter touching the bolt head and the bearing so the washers would look like this ()

If you have never done this you might want to give it a try, I have done this with all my mini diffs since I learned of it. Seems much smoother, and seems more durable. (atleast untill the new M05 diff comes out)
Thanks for sharing!

You mentioned cone washers and then clam shell washers, do you meant the same thing?

On a separate question, what do size of turnbuckles do you guys use for the M05 steering links and camber links? 10mm Ti ones? Cant seem to find 12mm... Would appreciate if there is P/N.

Thanks